Saturday, September 26, 2009

How to generate new ideas?

If you are a first timer, please read the following pieces first. It will provide you with important background information.
1. Why I created this blog?
2. How am I going to operate this blog?
I always have more ideas than cash. It is my desire to turn this situation around. I believe once I have more cash than ideas, my struggle against poverty is near its end. But some of my friends rely on BBS stock board for ideas. It is an awful choice. BBS stock board is full of rumormongers, penny stock promoters and day traders. The stock tips on BBS stock board offer no concrete analysis but some conglomerates of fear, greed, anxiety and boast. If you are looking for ideas for your money, here are some places you can start your search.

1.Steal from prominent investors
Some prominent investors disclose their investments every quarter. Here is one area I like about US security law. Some of those investors are so convinced on their ideas that they take huge positions. Usually, it takes more than a quarter before the idea produces extraordinary returns. Let's say Warren Buffet takes on a big position at $X. Three months later I have an opportunity to buy the same security only 25% cheaper than Warren has paid. I usually will jump on the wagon for a ride. Some my friends are logical thinkers. The only fact that Warren takes a big position is not logical enough for them. The bad news is that Warren rarely comments on the securities he is buying or selling. But some other prominent investors do highlight some of their best ideas in their shareholder letters, sometimes in great details. I don't know why they are doing that. But I don't care. As long as the case is convincing and I have ample fire powder at hand, I will fire. However, be sure you are following the right one. I don't think a certain celebrity throwing chair on TV is a prominent investor. And some my friends are certainly going to disagree. Here are two of the website I visit periodically for ideas.

1. Baron's funds
1. Ariel funds

2.Read some good magazines
I go to local library every weekend. I can almost guarantee you that you can find Barron's, Fortune and Forbes in any US library you visit. This is another area I love US. You can easily find a library and the library is usually well equipped. For an article to show up in those high quality magazine, a lot of fact checks happen behind the scene. I am not saying that all the facts are 100% accurate. But I think the situation are way better than the anonymous world wide web. This is for some detailed account for current events. You can find enormous information on some spin offs and merger and acquisition activities. The most recent stories I read including: the failed attempt for EXC to buy NRG and CAH's spin off of CFN. I didn't act on either case but perhaps I should.

3.Read Joel Greenblatt's book
"You can be a stock market genius" listed more places you can look for ideas. But some of those are not free. I am a cheapskate with the belief “Free is the Best”. I only list free and simple things. Remember, you don't need all the profitable ideas to build wealth. If you have 20 good ideas and you act on them in your lifetime, you are going to have a very successful investing career. By the way, continue to read my blog may be another way to generate good ideas.

PS

It is close to the end of September, the only activity for the month is buying LUK.

No comments:

Post a Comment